Monday, November 10, 2008

115th ST


This is a real trip down memory lane, it's the view from the back window of my old apartment on 115th st in Spanish Harlem. I was sat with a cup of tea considering my options having just been fired from a job and about to go on unemployment. Those were the days. There was a pigeon loft on the roof of the building in the drawing which was nice to be able to look out on, a Mexican restaurant and a bakery were on the ground floor, chickens would run wild in the back yard and I was often woken in the morning by the crowing of a rooster. The date on the drawing was June 29th 2000, Angie and I had not long started dating.

7 comments:

Treez said...

Really like this, Steve. Despite the sad story, looks quite a cheery sketch. Must have been Angie's influence.

Stephen Gardner said...

Hey Treez, thanks. I guess it does come across as a sad story but it was in many ways, a very exciting time. I certainly felt alive. I remember feeling really optimistic yes, Angie was a tonic, still is.

emikk said...

Well, I'm glad you didn't give up and end up on skid row, a drunken lag, if you will....if that happened all your blog followers would be deprived and probably end up in their own downward spirals as well!

Hans Jenssen Illustration said...

Dude, I remember it well. Your apartment was a corridor, and I spent a few nights there... Its where I first met Ange! Can't wait to see your new pad and have a hang-over or two there... Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing any drawings from chez Gardner, how about a glimpse or two into your personal space?

Ed said...

amazing how you managed to finish the sketch before your chair collapsed

Stephen Gardner said...

Eccch, thanks man, I was close but never in danger.

Hans, Can't wait for you to come out and work on a hangover, we don't live in a corridor anymore.

Ed, that's another fine trip down memory lane, Angie couldn't stop laughing when she read that.

RobCarey said...

Great one. You really krank these out- so many great pieces.